what is four ball in golf
Four-ballis a pairs playing format in the game ofgolf. It is also known asbetter ballandbest ball, although the latter more aptly defines a version with teams of 3 or 4 players.It is also sometimes abbreviated as4BBB.
In astroke playcompetition, competitors are paired and play as a team. Each golfer has their own game.ball; the team’s score on eachholeis the lesser score of the two players. Each hole requires just one of a pair to be completed. The team with the lowest aggregate score over a certain number of holes wins.Since 2017 this format, along withfoursomes, has been used by theZurich Classicon thePGA Tour.
In amatch playA four-ball match comprises of two teams of two players fighting against each other. All four golfers play their own balls throughout the round (rather than alternating shots); each hole is won by the team whose member has the lowest score.This kind of golf is often seen in team golf contests such as theRyder Cup,Solheim Cup, andPresidents Cup.
- Celebrity Bowling(adapted the best-ball format for bowling)
- ^Ellwood, Jeremy (September 30, 2018).“The Difference Between Fourball and Foursomes”.Golf Monthly. Retrieved December 17, 2019.
- ^Jump up to:abc“Rules of Golf – Rule 23: Four-Ball”. The R&A. Retrieved December 16, 2019.
- ^Jump up to:ab“Rules of Golf: Rule 23 – Four-Ball”. USGA. Retrieved December 17, 2019.
- ^“How it works: Zurich Classic of New Orleans team format”The PGA Tour returns on April 18, 2019. Retrieved December 17, 2019.
- ^Woodard, Adam (September 26, 2018).“Ryder Cup format: Fourball, foursomes, and scoring for non-golfers”.USA Today. Retrieved December 17, 2019.